The Irish government recognises the importance of education for both individuals and society.
A number of government upskilling programmes have been developed which aim to encourage individuals to continue their learning and increase their skills level. Many of these programmes include financial supports.
If you are unemployed, or want to further your education, there is likely to be a support programme that will help you financially, while doing a course you may be interested in.
Most support programmes are designed to assist unemployed people to improve their skills and increase their chances of getting employment. Detailed information on current Employment Programmes can be found in our Job Seekers area.
|For information on Employment Programmes click here
Did you know ...
Springboard+ offers a choice of 198 free, part-time and intensive conversion courses in higher education from certificate, to degree, to post-graduate level. See search courses for full details. Applications can also be made for one year full-time and two year part-time ICT Skills Conversion courses.
In 2017/18 courses are now open to the following categories of applicants:
- Homemakers (all courses are open to Homemakers)
- People in employment
- who wish to take a course in the manufacturing sector (e.g. Bio-pharma or medical devices technology) or
- who wish to take an ICT Conversion course or
- who already hold a Level 7 (Ordinary Degree) IT qualification who wish to upskill to a Level 8 IT qualification
- The unemployed or formerly self-employed (all courses are open to these category of applicants, with the exception of the two year part-time ICT conversion courses which are not open to those in receipt of a Jobseekers-related payment)
All courses lead to qualifications in enterprise sectors which are growing and need skilled personnel, including information and communications technology (ICT); manufacturing; international financial services; and key skills for enterprise to trade internationally. Qualifications are also available in cross-enterprise skills such as innovation, enterprise/entrepreneurship, digital marketing, and project management.
Need advice on what to do?
With so many possible courses, and a variety of different financial supports available, many people choose to discuss their options with a local careers advisor. Government based services provide free consultations and are available nationwide.