Guidance in Mount Anville
Aims of the Guidance Programme:
A) The principles expressed in ‘Heritage and Horizons’ underpin our programme.
Personal growth in an atmosphere of wise freedom – Heritage and Horizons:
- ‘The school recognises the uniqueness, inherent worth and dignity of each pupil.’
- ‘The pupils are encouraged to know themselves, to acknowledge and use their gifts, to recognise and accept their limitations and to share their talents with others’
- ‘A deep respect for Intellectual values’ – Heritage and Horizons
- ‘The school environment encourages recognition of the potential of each individual pupil, responding to the needs and differences of each’
- ‘The inter-relating of knowledge will help pupils to see the relevance of their studies in today’s world.’
- ‘Enjoyment of learning and commitment to the development of independent life-long learning are fostered.’
B) Needs analysis of guidance and counselling in Mount Anville as assessed by students, staff and parents:
- Opportunities for personal development and self-confidence
- Education and encouragement in developing social skills
- To promote feeling of self-worth in students
- To create awareness of multiple intelligence
- Health education
- Relationship education
- Education about social issues
- Mental health education
- Emotional support for students experiencing difficulties
- Time for individual appointments
- Confidential counselling for students
- Access to up to date information on subject/courses
- Support around subject choice
- Advice about levels in subjects
- Direction towards realistic career choice
- To identify students with special needs as early as possible
- Extra support for students with special needs
Objectives of the Guidance Programme:
- To assist each student in her personal development and to help her to know and accept herself, including her strengths and weaknesses.
- To support each student in following an educational path which is appropriate for her.
- To support students who may be experiencing difficulties in their lives, at home or at school.
- To facilitate students in choosing and embarking on a career path which will be personally rewarding and will reflect their individual talents and values.
- To support students at times of transition.
- To identify and explore opportunities for students.
- To help students grow in independence and take responsibility for themselves