Welcome to St.Joseph of Cluny Guidance and Counselling website
St Joseph of Cluny has two qualified Guidance Counsellors (Ms.Cleo McFarland and Ms. Caroline McPhillips) whose role it is to assist students to make informed choices about their lives in the personal, educational and career areas. The Career Guidance Programme is delivered through class contact time with students. Individual counselling, which may include personal counselling, educational counselling, career counselling, or a combination of these, is also a very important element of our guidance and counselling programme. The objectives of the Guidance Programme are:
- To help students develop an awareness and acceptance of their strengths, talents and abilities
- To facilitate students in identifying and exploring opportunities
- To enable students to grow in independence and take responsibility for themselves
- To help students make informed choices about their lives and to follow through on these choices
We also offer several guidance activities that assist students to make choices and transitions, including the following:
- Induction Programme: Incoming First Years have an induction morning in August to help them with the transition into the Secondary School. The Senior Prefects play a major role in this morning. All First Years also have an individual interview in the first term with the Guidance Counsellor to see how they are settling in and idenify if they are experiencing any difficulties, either personally, socially or academically.
- Counselling: Helping students to explore their thoughts and feelings, and the choices open to them; giving care and support to students learning to cope with the many aspects of growing up and at moments of personal crises.
- Assessment: Helping students to obtain a better self-understanding through the use of psychometric tests and other inventories. Differential Aptitude Tests are administered at the end of Transition Year as an aid to help students choose subjects for Leaving Certificate and identify their strengths which may help with future career choices. Interest Inventories are also used in each year of the Senior Cycle. The Drumcondra Reasoning Test is taken by all incoming First Year students.
- Careers Information: Providing students with objective and factual data on education and training opportunities, occupations, labour market information etc. Our bi-annual Careers Evening is a big event in the Cluny calendar, and a great opportunity for students to explore the different college courses and career options available to them.
- Student Research: Independent student research is encouraged at every stage and full use is made of Guidance Software and Online resources. A careers library with books, college prospectuses and online access is available to all students. Senior Cycle student use the Reach+ online career guidance programme, as part of their Career Guidance classes.
- CAO/ College Application: Helping students prepare for application to Third Level institutions and Colleges of Further Education is a major part of the work of the Guidance Counsellors. Students who wish to apply to UK Colleges through UCAS or colleges abroad are also given every assistance. Online application facilities are made available to all students.
We hope you find our Guidance and Counselling Website helpful. We endeavour to update our website on a daily basis, to provide both students and parents with up to date career guidance information,information on in-school career events, information on promoting positive mental health, and any relevant articles and videos that we think you may enjoy.
Caroline McPhillips & Cleo McFarland
St.Joseph of Cluny