Wednesday 1st March is an important date for students planning to for college in September - there are two key reasons:
- It is the final date for indicating on your CAO form that you wish to apply for HEAR and / or DARE.
- It is the final date for amending your CAO choices to include a restricted application course not listed on your initial application.
The HEAR application process
- Students must have applied online to the CAO by 1st February 2017.
- Applicants must indicate their intention to apply as a HEAR applicant on the CAO form, on or before 1st March deadline and complete all parts of the HEAR form.
- Relevant evidence and supporting documents must arrive in the CAO office no later than 1st April 2017.
- Applicants will be told whether or not they are eligible for the HEAR scheme in Mid June.
- If successful in gaining a college place on the HEAR scheme, applicants will be informed when the CAO offers come out in August.
Check out the 2017 HEAR Information Leaflet here.
The DARE application process
- Applicants applying for DARE must have applied to the CAO by 1 February 2017.
- No later than 17:15 on 1 March 2017, you must disclose your disability and/ or specific learning difficulty in your CAO application and fully and correctly complete Section A of the Supplementary Information Form (SIF).
- To apply to DARE, you must answer YES to Question 1 (‘Do you wish to be considered for DARE?’) on Section A of the fully completed SIF by 17:15 on 1 March 2017.
- Download Section B Educational Impact Statement (EIS) and have your school complete the form. Return the EIS to CAO to arrive by 17:15 on 1 April 2017.
- Download Section C Evidence of Disability, and have it completed by the appropriate medical professional (only if you do not already have a report verifying your disability which meets the DARE criteria). Return it to CAO to arrive by 17:15 on 1 April 2017.
- Applicants with a specific learning difficulty are asked to provide a full psychological assessment of any age completed by an appropriately qualified psychologist instead of the Section C Evidence of Disability form. This report must be accompanied by attainment scores from tests administered by your school and/ or an appropriately qualified psychologist.
- Applicants with DCD (Dyspraxia or Dysgraphia) are asked to provide a full psycho-educational assessment of any age completed by an appropriately qualified psychologist and in addition must provide documentation from an occupational therapist, neurologist or physiotherapist.
Click here for full details of the type of evidence required by DARE.
Amending your CAO choices
1st March is the final date for amending your CAO choices. In early February, a Change of Course Choices facility became available online. This facility can be used by registered applicants to add any restricted courses not already listed on an application, or by registered restricted-category applicants who need to make changes to their course choices, up to 1st March 2017 at 5:15pm. A €10 fee applies.
Video: Watch this short video resource from CAO: Change of Course Choices Video Guide
CAO Toolbox including KEY DATES
The CareersPortal Team