The CPA Business & Accounting Traineeship is a one academic year full time programme plus a three-month work placement for ambitious school leavers and mature students wishing to pursue a career as a professional accountant. This programme is fully funded.
This innovation in professional accounting education was developed to provide an initial opportunity that will help to ensure that anyone who has the ambition and commitment to become an accountant can do so, regardless of financial or logistical limitations. There is no requirement to have studied accountancy in the past.
WHO IS IT FOR?
The course is aimed at those who have recently left school having completed the Leaving Certificate or mature students. The CPA Business & Accounting Traineeship can help activate your career in accounting and business.
HOW WILL I LEARN?
Every aspect of your professional training is paid for. The tuition will be delivered via face to face lectures in Cork College of Commerce. Cork College of Commerce is a CPA approved learning provider. Lectures will commence in September each year and will be scheduled from Monday - Friday for one academic year. In addition there is a three month work placement from June - August.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
Subject matter will include modules on:
- Management in Organisations
- Business Law and Professional Ethics
- Economics and Business
- Bookkeeping, Manual and Computerised (including Sage)
- Spreadsheet Methods (including Excel)
Training includes not only the specialist knowledge and practical skills you will need for your future career, but also a range of personal, management, IT and business communications skills. Together they will help you to gain a rounded introduction into the world of business by the end of this programme.
WHAT ARE THE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS?
- You must have completed the Leaving Certificate or qualify as a mature student (23 years of age or over).
- If under the age of 23 you must have obtained a pass in at least six subjects in the Leaving Certificate, three of which must be Grade C or higher in three higher level papers. Two of the six subjects must be English and Maths.
- There is no requirement to have studied accountancy.
- A pre-course interview will be required to assess your aptitude level and ability.
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO COMPLETE?
Commencing in September each year with classroom based tuition which will be examined through computer and paper based exams throughout the academic year. In addition there will be a three month work placement from June – August in an accountancy practice or a business related organisation thereby giving you an opportunity to gain applied practical experience in the world of accounting.
ARE THERE ANY FEES?
The programme is free for eligible individuals. The fee waiver applies to:
- 1 year student membership of CPA Ireland,
- Course tuition,
- Support materials,
- First exam sitting,
- Contribution towards transportation costs (subject to eligibility).
For more information visit our website here.
Cork College of Commerce
Tel: 021 4223807