Coláiste Íde, based in Finglas Dublin 11, has launched a new course in Physiotherapy. This is a Level 6 Pre-University course, and the first of its kind in Ireland. The demand for this course is expected to be high as it provides a new entry route to Physiotherapy. Physiotherapy has long been a highly sought after course with CAO points for the last decade exceeding 500. Graduates of this level 6 course can compete for a place in undergraduate Physiotherapy in RCSI (mature student application) and four colleges across Europe as well as gaining entry to three related courses in Ireland.
Pre-university Physiotherapy at Coláiste Íde is a full-time access course, delivered over one year. Applicants are required to meet the following entry requirements:
- Leaving Certificate: Five passes at Ordinary Level, including two honours (minimum grade H4) at Higher Level. Mathematics, O4 at Ordinary Level. Biology is desirable.
- Others, including mature students are assessed individually, and
- Personal interview
Physiotherapists work with people of all ages across a spectrum of injuries, from sports-related to stroke patients, amputees, and disabled children. They work to rebuild muscle, strengthen limbs, develop balance and help distressed patients to recover.
A major emphasis of the programme is to enhance and strengthen the core science modules required in all physiotherapy courses at third level. This programme includes a variety of components essential to continued studies at university level, including Biomechanics, Sports Anatomy and Physiology and Sports Psychology. Additionally, students are required to complete sixty hours of work placement within an approved physiotherapy setting. The purpose of this placement is to further immerse learners in the rudiments of practice.
Graduates from this programme are eligible to enter the undergraduate studies in one of a number of European Universities leading to registration as a Chartered Physiotherapist.Pre-University Physiotherapy at Colaiste Íde is linked with the following university courses:
Physiotherapy (Level 8):
- Royal College of Surgeons, Dublin (Mature student entry)
- Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
- Hanze University of Applied Sciences, Netherlands
- Saxion University of Applied Sciences, Netherlands
Other related courses that Coláiste Íde Physiotherapy students can apply for (all level 8):
- Athletic Therapy and Training, DCU (Mature student entry)
- Sport’s Science and Health, IT Tallaght
- Health and Physical Activity, Dundalk IT
- Sport Rehabilitation, St Mary’s UniversityTwickenham.
Coláiste Íde graduates can also apply to two Level 8 programmes in Portobello Institute (London Metropolitan College). These courses can lead to a Master of Science in Physiotherapy in St Margaret’s University, Edinburgh.
- Sports Therapy
- Sports Science and Health
For more information: click here
Coláiste Íde are currently accepting applications. To apply online click here
To find out more about PLC courses or Further Education and Training click here
The CareersPortal Team