1. Use Change of Mind with caution - Every year students make multiple changes to their CAO application to the extent that they are unsure exactly what their final order of preference was listed as in their final application. This can lead to confusion, raised stress levels and increased anxiety when the offers are issued in Round One. To avoid this, it is recommended that you put lots of thought into your final application. When you are rested on your decision, then you use the Change of Mind facility to amend your list.
2. Use Change of Mind before you sit your Leaving Cert. It can be tempting to put off the final CAO decision for when your exams are behind you. Although this decision has its merits, it is an extra burden on you when your exams are over. Get the CAO application completed before sitting the exams so you can feel the weight lift from your shoulders and experience the relief of having everything done when the last exam is over.
3. Resist temptation to amend your choices based on your perception of exam performance. Exam time is stressful and emotional. Students often panic when exams don’t go as planned. The heightened emotions can lead to over exaggerated reactions, and perceived shortcomings can be grossly misrepresented. Feelings of ‘failure’ to meet expectations can lead some students to make hasty changes to their CAO application. You may live to regret these changes, especially if your grades are better than you expected.
4. Employ a Strategic Approach. List your courses in genuine order of preference but within the list you want to have some ‘dream’ courses, some realistic courses that have points and entry requirements that are close to what you are achieving and you also should list a few ‘safety net’ courses that have points and entry requirements below the points you are averaging.
5. Complete both the Level 8 and the Level 6/7 list. Through applying for courses in both lists you increase your chances of receiving an offer. You may even receive an offer from both lists. If this happens you will only be able to accept one offer.
6. Check and recheck your application. Before finally signing off on your CAO application you should check and recheck your application for errors. If you make a change of mind you will receive an e-mail to confirm your new course choices. You can also log in to your account via the My Application facility to confirm that all of your details are recorded completely and correctly. If you spot an error alert CAO immediately. It is too late to notify CAO of errors in August.
Best of luck with your application.
The CareersPortal Team