In Summary - Proofreader / Language Editor - EU
Proofreads manuscripts in their native language to ensure accuracy and clear communication.
Proofreader / Language Editor - EUs typically work in the following Career Sectors:
Videos on the Web
- Proofreader / Language Editor - EU- from: Youtube Search
The Work - Proofreader / Language Editor - EU
Working under supervision, proofreaders in the publications office are expected to proofread manuscripts in their native language. This involves:
- Preparing manuscripts in terms of style and typography
- Proofreading printers' proofs
- Delivering the "passed for press" order
- Participating in the design of publications
- Helping to organise and monitor the production processes involved in publication.
Proofreaders (language editors) in the Court of Justice assist in preparing texts to be published in the Court Reports. This involves:
- Linguistic checking and editing of documents for publication
- Checking texts against the originals, which are usually in French
- Checking for compliance with style conventions and rules
- Preparing issues of the Court Reports for printing and
- Finalising texts in typographical terms.
Interests - Proofreader / Language Editor - EU
This occupation is typically suited for people with the following Career Interests:
The Linguistic's interests are usually focused on ideas and information exchange. They tend to like reading a lot, and enjoy discussion about what has been said. Some will want to write about their own ideas and may follow a path towards journalism, story writing or editing. Others will develop skills in other languages, perhaps finding work as a translator or interpreter. Most Linguistic types will enjoy the opportunity to teach or instruct people in a topic they are interested in.
Administrative people are interested in work that offers security and a sense of being part of a larger process. They may be at their most productive under supervisors who give clear guidelines and while performing routine tasks in a methodical and reliable way.
They tend to enjoy clerical and most forms of office work, where they perform essential administrative duties. They often form the backbone of large and small organisations alike. They may enjoy being in charge of office filing systems, and using computers and other office equipment to keep things running smoothly. They usually like routine work hours and prefer comfortable indoor workplaces.
Creative people are drawn to careers and activities that enable them to take responsibility for the design, layout or sensory impact of something (visual, auditory etc). They may be atrracted to the traditional artistic pursuits such as painting, sculpture, singing, or music. Or they may show more interest in design activities, such as architecture, animation, or craft areas, such as pottery and ceramics.
Creative people use their personal understanding of people and the world they live in to guide their work. Creative people like to work in unstructured workplaces, enjoy taking risks and prefer a minimum of routine.
The institutions are looking for candidates who are talented, motivated, and highly qualified in their field, and who have the following competencies in particular:
- Analysis and problem solving - Ability to identify the critical facts in complex issues and develop creative and practical solutions
- Communication – Communicate clearly and precisely both orally and in writing
- Delivering quality and results – Take personal responsibility and initiative for delivering work to a high standard of quality within set procedures
- Learning and development – Develop and improve personal skills and knowledge of the organisation and its environment
- Prioritising and organising – Prioritise the most important tasks, work flexibly, and organise own workload efficiently
- Resilience – Remain effective under a heavy workload, handle organisational frustrations positively, and adapt to a changing work environment
- Working with others - Work cooperatively with others in teams and across organisational boundaries and respect differences between people
An additional requirement for posts in the AD career bracket (administrators) is:
• Leadership – Manage, develop and motivate people to achieve results
Entry Requirements - Proofreader / Language Editor - EU
The selection procedure for this role focuses on your proofreading skills, assessed on the basis of practical proofreading tests; as well as the core competencies required of all EU Officials.
Proofreader/language editor selections can be launched at any time throughout the year, although publication tends to be either in spring or autumn.
|See: EPSO - European Personnel Selection Office - EU Career profiles - Languages|
Check "What's coming up" on the EU Careers homepage for an announcement about the languages we are looking for in the current year.
Last Updated: December, 2016
Pay & Salary - Proofreader / Language Editor - EU
Salary Range (thousands per year)* 31k - k
Monthly salaries in the EU Institutions range from around €2,300 per month for a newly recruited AST/SC 1 official to around €16,000 per month for a top level AD 16 official with over four years of seniority.
Grade: Basic monthly salary €
Each grade is broken up into five seniority steps with corresponding salary increases. Basic salaries are adjusted annually in line with inflation and purchasing power in the EU countries.
As the name may suggest the basic monthly salary is just the starting point to remuneration associated with EU jobs as an employee may be entitled to allowances. All payments are subject to relevant tax and charges.
Official Journal of the European Union & EPSO
Last Updated: April, 2015
* The lower figures typically reflect starting salaries. Higher salaries are awarded to those with greater experience and responsibility. Positions in Dublin sometimes command higher salaries.
Labour Market Updates - Proofreader / Language Editor - EU
Useful Contacts - Proofreader / Language Editor - EU
EU Careers - European Personnel Selection Office (EPSO)
European Movement Ireland
Public Appointments Service