In Summary - Estate Agent
Estate Agents typically work in the following Career Sectors:
Videos on the Web
- Estate Agent- from: Youtube Search
The Work - Estate Agent
It is the job of Estate Agents to advise clients looking to buy/ rent a property or those looking to sell/let it and then act on instructions. The work includes providing marketing strategies, valuations and negotiating to get the best deal for clients.
It’s a varied area that will bring you into contact with a wide range of people and organisations: you could work with both landlords (developers and investors) and tenants (occupiers), and with a number of colleagues in your firm.
The work may involve anything from producing marketing reports to negotiating deals and managing your own projects. You’ll spend plenty of time out of the office, measuring properties, producing marketing information, speaking to agents and negotiating deals. You’ll also be working closely with other departments (such as valuation, rent review and investment) so that you can provide detailed information to your client.
Most commonly reported Work Tasks
- Present purchase offers to sellers for consideration.
- Act as an intermediary in negotiations between buyers and sellers, generally representing one or the other.
- Compare a property with similar properties that have recently sold to determine its competitive market price.
- Advise clients on market conditions, prices, mortgages, legal requirements and related matters.
- Promote sales of properties through advertisements, open houses, and participation in multiple listing services.
- Accompany buyers during visits to and inspections of property, advising them on the suitability and value of the homes they are visiting.
- Prepare documents such as representation contracts, purchase agreements, closing statements, deeds and leases.
- Confer with escrow companies, lenders, home inspectors, and pest control operators to ensure that terms and conditions of purchase agreements are met before closing dates.
- Interview clients to determine what kinds of properties they are seeking.
- Coordinate property closings, overseeing signing of documents and disbursement of funds.
Most commonly reported Work Activities
- Getting Information Observing, receiving, and otherwise obtaining information from all relevant sources.
- Performing for or Working Directly with the Public Performing for people or dealing directly with the public. This includes serving customers in restaurants and stores, and receiving clients or guests.
- Resolving Conflicts and Negotiating with Others Handling complaints, settling disputes, and resolving grievances and conflicts, or otherwise negotiating with others.
- Selling or Influencing Others Convincing others to buy merchandise/goods or to otherwise change their minds or actions.
- Interacting With Computers Using computers and computer systems (including hardware and software) to program, write software, set up functions, enter data, or process information.
- Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships Developing constructive and cooperative working relationships with others, and maintaining them over time.
- Updating and Using Relevant Knowledge Keeping up-to-date technically and applying new knowledge to your job.
- Communicating with Persons Outside Organization Communicating with people outside the organization, representing the organization to customers, the public, government, and other external sources. This information can be exchanged in person, in writing, or by telephone or e-mail.
- Making Decisions and Solving Problems Analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work Developing specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
Interests - Estate Agent
This occupation is typically suited for people with the following Career Interests:
Enterprising people like situations that involve using resources for personal or corporate economic gain. Such people may have an opportunistic frame of mind, and are drawn to commerce, trade and making deals. Some pursue sales and marketing occupations. Many will eventually end up owning their own business, or in management roles in larger organisations. They tend to be very goal-oriented and work best when focused on a target. Some have an entrepreneurial inclination.
Administrative people are interested in work that offers security and a sense of being part of a larger process. They may be at their most productive under supervisors who give clear guidelines and while performing routine tasks in a methodical and reliable way.
They tend to enjoy clerical and most forms of office work, where they perform essential administrative duties. They often form the backbone of large and small organisations alike. They may enjoy being in charge of office filing systems, and using computers and other office equipment to keep things running smoothly. They usually like routine work hours and prefer comfortable indoor workplaces.
The Social person's interests focus on interacting with the people in their environment. In all cases, the Social person enjoys the personal contact with other people in preference to the impersonal dealings with things, data and ideas found in other groups.
Many will seek out positions where there is direct contact with the public in some advisory role, whether a receptionist or a counsellor. Social people are motivated by an interest in different types of people and like diversity in their work environments. Many are drawn towards careers in the caring professions and social welfare area, whilst others prefer teaching and other 'informing' roles.
Entry Requirements - Estate Agent
Pay & Salary - Estate Agent
Salary Range (thousands per year)* 18k - 40k
3 - 5yrs exp: 40k
Last Updated: March, 2017
* The lower figures typically reflect starting salaries. Higher salaries are awarded to those with greater experience and responsibility. Positions in Dublin sometimes command higher salaries.
Labour Market Updates - Estate Agent
Useful Contacts - Estate Agent
The Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland
Institute of Professional Auctioneers and Valuers
Society of Chartered Surveyors