In Summary - Investment Fund Manager
Investment Fund Managers typically work in the following Career Sectors:
Videos on the Web
- Investment Fund Manager- from: Youtube Search
The Work - Investment Fund Manager
Investment fund managers manage equity and fixed income funds, currency or property on behalf of clients who are looking for the greatest possible return on their investment.
Clients may include insurance policy holders, investors in insurance companies, holders of unit and investment trusts and contributors to pension funds. The amounts of money involved can be quite considerable and the responsibility is great as poor investments can lose clients' money.
The work involves developing and implementing effective fund investment policies and strategies. There is usually also an element of client service. Fund managers need to maintain a broad knowledge of the relevant investment markets.
There are also likely to be some staff management responsibilities.
Most commonly reported Work Tasks
- Manage investment funds to maximize return on client investments.
- Select specific investments or investment mixes for purchase by an investment fund.
- Analyze acquisitions to ensure conformance with strategic goals or regulatory requirements.
- Select or direct the execution of trades.
- Develop or implement fund investment policies or strategies.
- Develop or direct development of offering documents or marketing materials.
- Evaluate the potential of new product developments or market opportunities, according to factors such as business plans, technologies, or market potential.
- Identify group or individual target investors for a specific fund.
- Meet with investors to determine investment goals or to discuss investment strategies.
- Monitor regulatory or tax law changes to ensure fund compliance or to capitalize on development opportunities.
Interests - Investment Fund Manager
This occupation is typically suited for people with the following Career Interests:
Enterprising people like situations that involve using resources for personal or corporate economic gain. Such people may have an opportunistic frame of mind, and are drawn to commerce, trade and making deals. Some pursue sales and marketing occupations. Many will eventually end up owning their own business, or in management roles in larger organisations. They tend to be very goal-oriented and work best when focused on a target. Some have an entrepreneurial inclination.
Creative people are drawn to careers and activities that enable them to take responsibility for the design, layout or sensory impact of something (visual, auditory etc). They may be atrracted to the traditional artistic pursuits such as painting, sculpture, singing, or music. Or they may show more interest in design activities, such as architecture, animation, or craft areas, such as pottery and ceramics.
Creative people use their personal understanding of people and the world they live in to guide their work. Creative people like to work in unstructured workplaces, enjoy taking risks and prefer a minimum of routine.
As an investment fund manager you should understand world business and financial affairs and be capable of evaluating complex financial information. You should have good judgement and decision-making skills, with financial knowledge and business experience. At all times, fund managers must be aware of trends and current activity in the financial market.
Investment fund managers must liaise effectively with clients and other organisations. This is a very image conscious occupation, as much of the work is based on confidence in individuals and the institutions they represent. Excellent oral and written communication skills are essential for writing reports and negotiating with clients.
For many posts you would need supervisory skills for managing teams of people.
Entry Requirements - Investment Fund Manager
Pay & Salary - Investment Fund Manager
Salary Range (thousands per year)* 25k - 90k
Last Updated: March, 2017
* The lower figures typically reflect starting salaries. Higher salaries are awarded to those with greater experience and responsibility. Positions in Dublin sometimes command higher salaries.