In Summary - Tiler / Tile Fitter
Tiler / Tile Fitters typically work in the following Career Sectors:
Videos on the Web
- Tiler / Tile Fitter- from: Youtube Search
- Fitter - from: icould [UK] Video
The Work - Tiler / Tile Fitter
The work includes setting out tiles, marking grid lines, and levelling datum lines and tile batons. It also involves fixing ceramic tiles to walls, floors and steps and laying vinyl tiles, sheet materials.
Most commonly reported Work Tasks
- Cut and shape tile to fit around obstacles and into odd spaces and corners, using hand and power cutting tools.
- Lay and set mosaic tiles to create decorative wall, mural and floor designs.
- Align and straighten tile using levels, squares and straightedges.
- Determine and implement the best layout to achieve a desired pattern.
- Measure and mark surfaces to be tiled, following blueprints.
- Finish and dress the joints and wipe excess grout from between tiles, using damp sponge.
- Cut, surface, polish and install marble and granite or install pre-cast terrazzo, granite or marble units.
- Mix, apply, and spread plaster, concrete, mortar, cement, mastic, glue or other adhesives to form a bed for the tiles, using brush, trowel and screed.
- Apply mortar to tile back, position the tile and press or tap with trowel handle to affix tile to base.
- Level concrete and allow to dry.
Most commonly reported Work Activities
- Handling and Moving Objects Using hands and arms in handling, installing, positioning, and moving materials, and manipulating things.
- Getting Information Observing, receiving, and otherwise obtaining information from all relevant sources.
- Performing General Physical Activities Performing physical activities that require considerable use of your arms and legs and moving your whole body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, and handling of materials.
- Making Decisions and Solving Problems Analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Estimating the Quantifiable Characteristics of Products, Events, or Information Estimating sizes, distances, and quantities; or determining time, costs, resources, or materials needed to perform a work activity.
- Identifying Objects, Actions, and Events Identifying information by categorizing, estimating, recognizing differences or similarities, and detecting changes in circumstances or events.
- Thinking Creatively Developing, designing, or creating new applications, ideas, relationships, systems, or products, including artistic contributions.
- Inspecting Equipment, Structures, or Material Inspecting equipment, structures, or materials to identify the cause of errors or other problems or defects.
- Communicating with Persons Outside Organization Communicating with people outside the organization, representing the organization to customers, the public, government, and other external sources. This information can be exchanged in person, in writing, or by telephone or e-mail.
- Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates Providing information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
Interests - Tiler / Tile Fitter
This occupation is typically suited for people with the following Career Interests:
Realists are usually interested in 'things' - such as buildings, mechanics, equipment, tools, electronics etc. Their primary focus is dealing with these - as in building, fixing, operating or designing them. Involvement in these areas leads to high manual skills, or a fine aptitude for practical design - as found in the various forms of engineering.
Realists like to find practical solutions to problems using tools, technology and skilled work. Realists usually prefer to be active in their work environment, often do most of their work alone, and enjoy taking decisive action with a minimum amount of discussion and paperwork.
Administrative people are interested in work that offers security and a sense of being part of a larger process. They may be at their most productive under supervisors who give clear guidelines and while performing routine tasks in a methodical and reliable way.
They tend to enjoy clerical and most forms of office work, where they perform essential administrative duties. They often form the backbone of large and small organisations alike. They may enjoy being in charge of office filing systems, and using computers and other office equipment to keep things running smoothly. They usually like routine work hours and prefer comfortable indoor workplaces.
Creative people are drawn to careers and activities that enable them to take responsibility for the design, layout or sensory impact of something (visual, auditory etc). They may be atrracted to the traditional artistic pursuits such as painting, sculpture, singing, or music. Or they may show more interest in design activities, such as architecture, animation, or craft areas, such as pottery and ceramics.
Creative people use their personal understanding of people and the world they live in to guide their work. Creative people like to work in unstructured workplaces, enjoy taking risks and prefer a minimum of routine.
As a Floor and Wall Tiler you need to be an accurate and careful worker. You must be able to take accurate measurements and do simple calculations. You need good practical skills and you must be able to use cutting tools.
You need to be physically fit, as the work involves carrying, kneeling and bending, and have good interpersonal skills.
Entry Requirements - Tiler / Tile Fitter
Pay & Salary - Tiler / Tile Fitter
Salary Range (thousands per year)* 18k - 36k
Last Updated: March, 2017
* The lower figures typically reflect starting salaries. Higher salaries are awarded to those with greater experience and responsibility. Positions in Dublin sometimes command higher salaries.