In Summary - Lifeguard
Lifeguards typically work in the following Career Sectors:
Videos & Interviews
Ciara Roosli, Activities Instructer
Ciara is an Outdoors Activity Instructor with Freedom Surf School in Tramore, Co Waterford. She got a degree in Marketing and Languages in Waterford Institute of Technology, and then went travelling abroad for a while. She returned home to take up her current position and loves her job.
Videos on the Web
- Lifeguard- from: Youtube Search
The Work - Lifeguard
The main job of a Lifeguard is to supervise popular swimming areas such as swimming pools and beaches and try to prevent drowning.
Lifeguards advise people when and where to swim and make rescues when necessary.
They are highly skilled and have the ability to:
- prevent accidents
- evaluate the patrol area and implement appropriate safety rules
- protect the public
- educate the public in water safety
Most commonly reported Work Tasks
- Examine injured persons and administer first aid or cardiopulmonary resuscitation, if necessary, using training and medical supplies and equipment.
- Contact emergency medical personnel in case of serious injury.
- Rescue distressed persons, using rescue techniques and equipment.
- Instruct participants in skiing, swimming, or other recreational activities and provide safety precaution information.
- Patrol or monitor recreational areas such as trails, slopes, and swimming areas, on foot, in vehicles, or from towers.
- Complete and maintain records of weather and beach conditions, emergency medical treatments performed, and other relevant incident information.
- Maintain quality of pool water by testing chemical levels.
- Warn recreational participants of inclement weather, unsafe areas, or illegal conduct.
- Observe activities in assigned areas, using binoculars, to detect hazards, disturbances, or safety infractions.
- Inspect recreational equipment, such as rope tows, T-bars, J-bars, and chair lifts, for safety hazards and damage or wear.
Most commonly reported Work Activities
- Assisting and Caring for Others Providing personal assistance, medical attention, emotional support, or other personal care to others such as coworkers, customers, or patients.
- Performing for or Working Directly with the Public Performing for people or dealing directly with the public. This includes serving customers in restaurants and stores, and receiving clients or guests.
- Identifying Objects, Actions, and Events Identifying information by categorizing, estimating, recognizing differences or similarities, and detecting changes in circumstances or events.
- Performing General Physical Activities Performing physical activities that require considerable use of your arms and legs and moving your whole body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, and handling of materials.
- Making Decisions and Solving Problems Analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Monitor Processes, Materials, or Surroundings Monitoring and reviewing information from materials, events, or the environment, to detect or assess problems.
- Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates Providing information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
- Training and Teaching Others Identifying the educational needs of others, developing formal educational or training programs or classes, and teaching or instructing others.
- Communicating with Persons Outside Organization Communicating with people outside the organization, representing the organization to customers, the public, government, and other external sources. This information can be exchanged in person, in writing, or by telephone or e-mail.
- Documenting/Recording Information Entering, transcribing, recording, storing, or maintaining information in written or electronic/magnetic form.
Interests - Lifeguard
This occupation is typically suited for people with the following Career Interests:
Realists are usually interested in 'things' - such as buildings, mechanics, equipment, tools, electronics etc. Their primary focus is dealing with these - as in building, fixing, operating or designing them. Involvement in these areas leads to high manual skills, or a fine aptitude for practical design - as found in the various forms of engineering.
Realists like to find practical solutions to problems using tools, technology and skilled work. Realists usually prefer to be active in their work environment, often do most of their work alone, and enjoy taking decisive action with a minimum amount of discussion and paperwork.
The Social person's interests focus on interacting with the people in their environment. In all cases, the Social person enjoys the personal contact with other people in preference to the impersonal dealings with things, data and ideas found in other groups.
Many will seek out positions where there is direct contact with the public in some advisory role, whether a receptionist or a counsellor. Social people are motivated by an interest in different types of people and like diversity in their work environments. Many are drawn towards careers in the caring professions and social welfare area, whilst others prefer teaching and other 'informing' roles.
It is essential that Lifeguards have excellent powers of concentration, are observant and are constantly on the alert for potential danger. Good communication skills are helpful as you will be dealing with the public on a regular basis.
The necessary prerequisites for candidates applying for lifeguarding positions are that they be physically fit, be seventeen years of age or over and hold the current (i.e. not more than two years old) Intermediate Rescue Award of the Irish Water Safety or the equivalent of other organisations.
Entry Requirements - Lifeguard
Pay & Salary - Lifeguard
Salary Range (thousands per year)* 18k - 35k
Last Updated: April, 2017
* The lower figures typically reflect starting salaries. Higher salaries are awarded to those with greater experience and responsibility. Positions in Dublin sometimes command higher salaries.
Labour Market Updates - Lifeguard
Useful Contacts - Lifeguard
Irish Water Safety