In Summary - Golf Greenkeeper
Golf Greenkeepers typically work in the following Career Sectors:
Videos on the Web
- Golf Greenkeeper- from: Youtube Search
The Work - Golf Greenkeeper
Golf greenkeepers perform a range of tasks to make sure the course is maintained to the highest possible standard.
Each day they go around the course either by foot or in a small truck, doing a variety of jobs. They perform some tasks using hand tools and others using machinery. Throughout the day they may inform golfers of any problems that have arisen.
They care for the course through scarification (raking of the ground) and aeration (loosening of the ground). Other tasks include top dressing, application of fertilisers, pest and weed control, mowing, and turf irrigation.Greenkeepers also rake the bunkers, cut holes and move tee-markers.
As well as operating machinery such as tractors and sit-on mowers, greenkeepers have to maintain this equipment. They also look after the surrounds of the club house, including trees and shrubs. On some occasions, they may be involved in the construction of new greens, tees, bunkers or even a new golf course.
Most commonly reported Work Tasks
- Operate vehicles and powered equipment, such as mowers, tractors, twin-axle vehicles, snow blowers, chain saws, electric clippers, sod cutters, and pruning saws.
- Mow or edge lawns, using power mowers or edgers.
- Shovel snow from walks, driveways, or parking lots and spread salt in those areas.
- Care for established lawns by mulching, aerating, weeding, grubbing, removing thatch, or trimming or edging around flower beds, walks, or walls.
- Use hand tools, such as shovels, rakes, pruning saws, saws, hedge or brush trimmers, or axes.
- Prune or trim trees, shrubs, or hedges, using shears, pruners, or chain saws.
- Gather and remove litter.
- Maintain or repair tools, equipment, or structures, such as buildings, greenhouses, fences, or benches, using hand or power tools.
- Mix and spray or spread fertilizers, herbicides, or insecticides onto grass, shrubs, or trees, using hand or automatic sprayers or spreaders.
- Provide proper upkeep of sidewalks, driveways, parking lots, fountains, planters, burial sites, or other grounds features.
Most commonly reported Work Activities
- Performing General Physical Activities Performing physical activities that require considerable use of your arms and legs and moving your whole body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, and handling of materials.
- Controlling Machines and Processes Using either control mechanisms or direct physical activity to operate machines or processes (not including computers or vehicles).
- Inspecting Equipment, Structures, or Material Inspecting equipment, structures, or materials to identify the cause of errors or other problems or defects.
- Operating Vehicles, Mechanized Devices, or Equipment Running, maneuvering, navigating, or driving vehicles or mechanized equipment, such as forklifts, passenger vehicles, aircraft, or water craft.
- Handling and Moving Objects Using hands and arms in handling, installing, positioning, and moving materials, and manipulating things.
- Getting Information Observing, receiving, and otherwise obtaining information from all relevant sources.
- Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work Developing specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Identifying Objects, Actions, and Events Identifying information by categorizing, estimating, recognizing differences or similarities, and detecting changes in circumstances or events.
- Making Decisions and Solving Problems Analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Repairing and Maintaining Mechanical Equipment Servicing, repairing, adjusting, and testing machines, devices, moving parts, and equipment that operate primarily on the basis of mechanical (not electronic) principles.
Interests - Golf Greenkeeper
This occupation is typically suited for people with the following Career Interests:
Not surprisingly, some aspect of the natural sciences will run through the Naturalist's interests - from ecological awareness to nutrition and health. People with an interest in horticulture, land usage and farming (including fish) are Naturalists.
Some Naturalists focus on animals rather than plants, and may enjoy working with, training, caring for, or simply herding them. Other Naturalists will prefer working with the end result of nature's produce - the food produced from plants and animals. Naturalists like solving problems with solutions that show some sensitivity to the environmental impact of what they do. They like to see practical results and prefer action to talking and discussing.
Administrative people are interested in work that offers security and a sense of being part of a larger process. They may be at their most productive under supervisors who give clear guidelines and while performing routine tasks in a methodical and reliable way.
They tend to enjoy clerical and most forms of office work, where they perform essential administrative duties. They often form the backbone of large and small organisations alike. They may enjoy being in charge of office filing systems, and using computers and other office equipment to keep things running smoothly. They usually like routine work hours and prefer comfortable indoor workplaces.
You should be willing to work as part of a team. You will also be expected to work on your own initiative. Knowledge of horticulture and botany are considered useful as you may have to identify plants and grasses, as well as care for trees and shrubs. You also need to be physically fit as tasks can involve bending, digging, lifting and carrying.
You should feel comfortable with solving technical problems and dealing with sophisticated machinery. A driving licence is usually required.
Entry Requirements - Golf Greenkeeper
Pay & Salary - Golf Greenkeeper
Salary Range (thousands per year)* 24k - 61k
Last Updated: March, 2017
* The lower figures typically reflect starting salaries. Higher salaries are awarded to those with greater experience and responsibility. Positions in Dublin sometimes command higher salaries.