Galway view map
Latest NoticesSee more notices
GMIT Letterfrack campus is the National Centre of Excellence for Furniture Design and Wood Technology.
It has been synonymous with the study of furniture design since 1987.
We offer honours degrees specialising in:
- Furniture design and manufacture
- Furniture and wood technology
- Teacher education (construction studies and DCG)
Our graduates are recognised for their innovative, creative and responsive approach to projects. They frequently win and feature in shortlists for national and international awards.
Why study at GMIT Letterfrack?
Our students attain and develop exceptional skills in areas of craft and advanced manufacturing technology.
Click on the image to read.
State of the art facilities and equipment
- Our machine halls and bench rooms are fully equipped and include CNC and laser technology, as well as robotics.
- Our laboratories and workrooms are designed as highly efficient environments.
- We have two fully equipped computer laboratoriesand WiFi throughout the campus.
Work Placements and internships
- We have links to major furniture design and manufacturing companies around the globe.
- Our students can avail of opportunities to work with leaders in furniture design and manufacturing.
Award winning students
- We are a campus of 250 students yet we frequently top awards lists nationally and internationally.
- GMIT Letterfrack students have won Design and Craft Awards, National Skills Awards, Undergraduate Awards and Wood Marketing Awards.
Award winning lecturers
- We have a friendly team of staff committed to standards of excellence. Three of our lecturers have won the GMIT President’s Award for Teaching Excellence in the past seven years.
- Others include published authors, researchers and experts in the field of furniture design and technology.
- GMIT Letterfrack has a number of links with colleges in Europe and the USA.
- Students can avail of opportunities to study overseas as part of their degree.
Clubs, societies and sport
- GMIT Letterfrack has various sporting clubs with great facilities nearby for soccer and GAA.
- We have achieved national success with our GAA teams, having won all-Ireland Division 3 titles in hurling and football.
- Students may join the design society which is involved in curating exhibitions and promotion of students work.
- Students may also join the wood turning society, which is long established and is currently aiming to become a chapter of the Wood Turning Guild.
- The campus is located in the stunning Connemara National Park, near Killary Fjord and Kylemore Abbey; it is an hour’s drive away from Galway city and Westport.
- Students may enjoy outdoor activities such as surfing, hill walking and rock climbing. Letterfrack village and its surrounds provide ample accommodation for students.
Programmes on the campus are supported by Connemara West Development PLC (a community and rural development organisation based in Letterfrack).
100% Employment for Graduates
All graduates from GMIT Letterfrack in 2017 seeking work, have found employment. Work Placement is a key element of the programmes, involving a minimum of twenty weeks, enabling students to undertake work in leading companies both in Ireland and overseas.
Award Winning Students
For the past 10 years, students of GMIT Letterfrack have won the National Skills Competition in Cabinet Making and three students have represented Ireland in the World Skills Competitions in Germany, Brazil and Abu Dhabi.
Design and Technology Education
Due to our national and international reputation for quality, we are The National Centre for Excellence in Furniture and Wood Technology.
Award Winning Staff
We have a highly dedicated and expert lecturing, technical and administrative staff. Four lecturers from GMIT Letterfrack have been awarded the GMIT President’s Award for Teaching Excellence.
Award Winning Buildings
Our state of the art machine hall is situated within buildings designed by award winning Architects O’Donnell and Tuomey and developed by Connemara West Plc.