Why study at GMIT Letterfrack?
- Our students attain and develop exceptional skills in areas of craft and advanced manufacturing technology.
State of the art facilities and equipment
- Our machine halls and bench rooms are fully equipped and include CNC and laser technology, as well as robotics.
- Our laboratories and workrooms are designed as highly efficient environments.
- We have two fully equipped computer laboratoriesand WiFi throughout the campus.
Work Placements and internships
- We have links to major furniture design and manufacturing companies around the globe.
- Our students can avail of opportunities to work with leaders in furniture design and manufacturing.
Award winning students
- We are a campus of 250 students yet we frequently top awards lists nationally and internationally.
- GMIT Letterfrack students have won Design and Craft Awards, National Skills Awards, Undergraduate Awards and Wood Marketing Awards.
Award winning lecturers
- We have a friendly team of staff committed to standards of excellence. Three of our lecturers have won the GMIT President’s Award for Teaching Excellence in the past seven years.
- Others include published authors, researchers and experts in the field of furniture design and technology.
- GMIT Letterfrack has a number of links with colleges in Europe and the USA.
- Students can avail of opportunities to study overseas as part of their degree.
Clubs, societies and sport
- GMIT Letterfrack has various sporting clubs with great facilities nearby for soccer and GAA.
- We have achieved national success with our GAA teams, having won all-Ireland Division 3 titles in hurling and football.
- Students may join the design society which is involved in curating exhibitions and promotion of students work.
- Students may also join the wood turning society, which is long established and is currently aiming to become a chapter of the Wood Turning Guild.
- The campus is located in the stunning Connemara National Park, near Killary Fjord and Kylemore Abbey; it is an hour’s drive away from Galway city and Westport.
- Students may enjoy outdoor activities such as surfing, hill walking and rock climbing. Letterfrack village and its surrounds provide ample accommodation for students.
- Programmes on the campus are supported by Connemara West Development PLC (a community and rural development organisation based in Letterfrack).