The most direct way for your child to explore occupations is through a work experience. Here your child will get a much fuller sense of the real life work environment and pressures of the job, and see first hand the day to day activities of the job. Most children will learn significantly from such experiences, and the more you can help your child get work experiences the better.
Second to work experience is if your child can get the opportunity to meet and talk or interview someone in the job. Here they can ask questions that they may have, and get the opinions and views of the jobholder. A frank discussion / interview with a jobholder is very valuable and is to be encouraged where possible.
To facillitate the difficulty of obtaining such interviews, we have interviewed hundreds of workers around Ireland, and asked about their jobs and their career path to date. For each person we interview we asked the following questions:
- Questions about your career and its development
- What were the main 'career decision' milestones in your life so far?
- Who are the people who most influenced your career direction?
- Does your job allow you to have a lifestyle you are happy with?
- Questions about your current Job
- How did you go about getting your current job?
- Describe a typical day?
- What are the main tasks and responsibilities?
- What are the main challenges?
- What's cool?
- What's not so cool?
- What particular skills do you bring to your workplace?
- Questions about education and training
- What subjects did you take in school and how have these influenced your career path?
- What is your education to date?
- What aspects of your education have proven most important for your job?
- Have you undertaken, or do you plan to undertake any further training as part of your job?
- Questions about yourself
- What have been the most rewarding events in your career so far?
- What personal qualities do you have that helps you in your career?
- What is your dream job?
- Advice for people thinking of this job as a career choice
- What advice would you give to someone considering this job?
- What are the three most important personal characteristics required for the job?
- What kinds of work experience would provide a good background for this position?
Click here to view videos and interviews