If your child is considering going to college, there are a number of options available:
(1) Further Education
These are usually one or two-year PLC courses run by FET colleges throughout Ireland, leading to Level 5 or 6 QQI awards. You can search PLC Course options here.
- Funded by the state
- Application to individual colleges
(2) Higher Education
Typically two to four year courses run by universities and institutes of technology throughout the country. Leads to Level 6 Higher Certificates, Level 7 Ordinary Degrees and Level 8 Higher Degrees.
- Funded by the state (though registration fees apply)
- Application through the CAO (some exceptions)
(3) Private Colleges
- Fee paying
- Application is directly to the particular college
(4) UK Colleges - Application is through the UCAS system
(5) Europe and Abroad - Application is direct to colleges. Click here for detailed information from EUNiCAS - the European Universities Central Application Support Service.
Note: Qualifications are awarded according to the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ). Click here for more information.
Follow the links on this page for detailed information about the different options.