Farming continues to play a big role in Irish life, with forests growing in size plus a thriving gardening and landscaping sector there are many opportunities for those who enjoy active jobs where you are doing practical work out in the open air. Whether you are working on farms as a farm owner or farmhand, caring for our forests or smaller scale work in horticulture, where you can design landscapes or tend gardens.
There were 111,700 working in agriculture at the end of 2017, 5.0% of national employment. The vast majority (95%) of this employment was in the core agriculture activities of crop and animal production. Forestry, fishing and other agriculture activities made up the remaining 5%. There was very little change in the number employed in Agriculture between 2016 and 2017.
Our farms make up a major source of economic activity and are the focus of rural life. There are two primary types of farming in Ireland, tillage farming and dairy farming.
As a horticulturist you may work with the growing of food such as fruits, berries, nuts and vegetables, decorative features such as flowers and shrubs or practical features such as sporting grounds.
Horticulturalists and forestry workers tend to complex woodland ecosystems. Hauliers, log buyers, and sawmill workers keep the timber supply chain moving.
If you want to know more about working in the in the sector, hear what the experts have to say.