What unifies the people involved in all areas of the Building, Construction & Property sector is the pride they take in the completion of a project. Whether it's a developer admiring a building he’s looked after from when it was just an idea, a bricklayer seeing the outcome of weeks of work or the satisfaction a real estate agent feels when handing the keys of a newly built home over to its new owners.
In the final stretch of 2017 there were 133,000 people employed in the construction sector, 6% of the total number of people employed. The sector grew by 10% between Q4 2016 and Q4 2017, making it the second fastest growing sector, this translates to an additional 12,000 persons employed.
Most of the employment (65%) in the sector was in specialised construction activities such as bricklaying, scaffolding or construction equipment renting, with the remaining 35% working in the construction of buildings or civil engineering.
In addition, 32,922 were employed in other engineering activities, including architectural activities and technical testing, much of which would be related to construction and building services.
According to the SOLAS Vacancy Overview 2018 employment growth in 2018 was very strong, with many open positions advertised. Most of these hiring activity was focused on skilled trades, such as electricians, carpenters and plumbers.
These are the places where the actual construction takes place. Large construction sites are places teaming with skilled workers who create the actual structures designed by Architects and Engineers.
Construction projects are complex processes, with many relationships to be managed and very precise sequences of events to be followed. A variety of roles are involved in coordinating the vast array of moving parts, resources and people involved.
All construction work involves teams of skilled trades people. These are the 'worker bees' of the industry and every building or construction you see has been assembled by these crafts people.
Roads, bridges, airports, railways and other significant construction projects are built and maintained with the input of civil engineers.
All properties have to be sold and large office and apartment blocks must be managed, specialist skills in this area include those involved in selling, marketing and managing property portfolios.
Architecture is both the process and the product of planning, designing, and constructing buildings or any other structures. Architectural works, in the material form of buildings, are often perceived as cultural symbols and as works of art.
If you want to know more about working in the in the sector, hear what the experts have to say.