People opt to start their own business for a wide variety of reasons, from losing their job, to wanting more autonomy and flexibility or for the thrill of going it alone and getting rich quick! Some people simply have a good idea and a belief that they can make that idea work.
Whatever the reason, there are lots of supports available to help you along the way. The following links provide valuable information on starting a business in Ireland:
- Local Enterprise Offices (LEOs) - provide advice, information and support to you in starting up or growing your business. There are 31 dedicated teams across the Local Authority network in Ireland, offering a wide range of experience, skills and services. The LEO is for people interested in starting up a new business or already in business including entrepreneurs, early stage promoters, start-ups and small business looking to expand. Click here for our full list of services and supports.
- Enterprise Ireland - If you have a new business idea, you may qualify for funding and supports from Enterprise Ireland, or from your Local Enterprise Office.
- Citizens Information - advice for people thinking of setting up a business highlighting some of the important information you need to know with links to relevant topics.
- BASIS (Business Access to State Information and Services) - provides valuable information, advice and resources for potential entrepreneurs wishing to start a business.
- Údarás na Gaeltachta - can offer qualifying businesses and companies from various sectors a range of incentives and supports to start up, develop, expand or locate in a Gaeltacht region.
- Youngentrepreneur.ie - a not-for-profit organisation dedicated to illustrating the validity of entrepreneurship as a career choice for young people.
- Shannon Development - (Now Shannon Commercial Properties) - provides commercial property solutions for clients ranging from individuals and start-ups to multinational groups from every industry. Services offered include consulting, sourcing, leasing and selling office and industrial buildings, assisting with development of greenfield and industrial sites and delivering property management services.
Many of the issues concerning new start up companies are discussed in our section on Work & Employment