A number of new apprenticeships have been introduced since 2016, with several more due to come on stream between now and 2020. These new style apprenticeships can lead to an award ranging between Level 5 and Level 10 on the National Framework of Qualifications.
Click here for a full list of apprenticeships as of August 30th 2018.
The development of these new apprenticeships and their subsequent roll-out is overseen by industry-led groups (consortia) working with education and training providers and other partners.
It is expected that 50-100 apprentices will be recruited for each area, creating as many as 2,500 additional apprenticeship places each year.
To date, fourteen new apprenticeships have come through the Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) validation process and are fully approved, launched and have opened for recruitment:
These bring the current number of available apprenticeship options to 41, with a further 12 new apprenticeship programmes currently in the development stages and due to be introduced over the coming months.
Apprenticeships in development (as of 30th August 2018):
The occupational profile for this group has now been approved.
Apprenticeships in development:
- Applied horticulture
- Associate sales professional
- CGI technical artist: animation, games, VFX
- Equipment systems engineer
- Executive Chef
- Farm management
- Farm technician
- Fintech Associate Professional
- ICT associate professional in cybersecurity
- Lean Sigma manager
- Manufacturing ICT Engineer
- Manufacturing Technician
- Principal engineer - Professional Doctorate
- Professional bar manager
- Professional hairdressing
- Professional healthcare assistant
- Recruitment practitioner
- Science Aircraft Asset Management
- Software system designer
- Sous Chef
- Sport turf management
- Stud farm management
- Supply chain associate
- Supply chain manager
- Supply chain specialist
- Wind Turbine Maintenance
The occupational profile for this group has not yet been fully approved
Apprenticeships proposed and approved for development:
This group have been approved and are now in the development process as of 30th August 2018
All new apprenticeships listed here are:
- A minimum of two years duration - (some will be up to 4 years)
- Learning alternates between a workplace and an education/training institute with a minimum of 50% on the job training
- Part of a formal Education and Training process
- Prepares Apprentices to work autonomously and competently in the career area
- Apprentices are employed and paid under a Contract of Apprenticeship and paid for its duration in both on-the-job and off-the-job phases.